April 8, 2020
Dear Rappahannock Democrats,
We missed seeing you at our last monthly get together, cancelled for COVID19. Unfortunately, we will miss you again. Our scheduled general meeting for April 11 is also cancelled to keep everyone distanced and safe, following Governor Ralph Northam’s recommendations. They came not a moment too soon. Sadly, our county reported its first confirmed case this week.
Distanced as we are, we have been busy and want to keep you informed of events in the coming months.
- County delegates to the district, state, and national Democratic conventions have until April 9 at 5 pm to send in their pre-filing forms to the DPVA (Democratic Party of Virginia).
Based on your votes on Super Tuesday, the county was allotted two delegates for Joe Biden and one for Bernie Sanders. Even though Bernie has dropped out of the race, his delegates will go to the conventions!
- To be a delegate to the 5th District Convention on May 9 and State Convention on Jun 20, click HERE for the form.
- To go on to the National Convention in August 17-20 in Milwaukee, click HERE to apply.
NOTE: Compared to other counties in the CD5, Rappahannock has had a great turnout of delegate applications! The DPVA has been accepting them all, for both candidates, to cover the shortfall in other counties.
NOTE: Because of the pandemic, the Party will decide, from moment to moment, whether to hold in-person or virtual conventions. The 5th District Convention will be held virtually. (Those details to come.)
- To find out more about delegate selection and duties, click HERE.
- The 5th District Congressional
Primary is scheduled for June 9. We are urging you to vote
absentee by mail. It’s easy and complies with our distancing practices.
- I’ve attached Registrar Kim McKiernan’s instructions and the deadlines to apply for and send in absentee ballots for the June Congressional Primary and November General elections.
NOTE: Mail-in voting is going to be crucial this year for getting out the vote! We’re planning phone banks, texts blasts, and socially distanced postcard parties to get the word out, and to help voters get their ballots in. We’ll need your help.
NOTE: We have four terrific candidates to run against Denver Riggleman in November: RD Huffstetler, John Lesinski, Claire Russo, and Cameron Webb. Instead of live forums to let voters meet the candidates, we’re coordinating with other 5th District committees to hold virtual forums in our localities. Ours is tentatively scheduled for May 12 at 6 pm, to be moderated by former candidate Leslie Cockburn. (Details to come.)
- RCDC fundraising has become one of the casualties of COVID19. Our April 4 Blue State Blue Grass Brunch and auction were cancelled. The Yard Sale in August may be too. While our expenses will go down, our income will too. As the season progresses, we’ll need to buy yard and highway signs, and campaign ads. We appreciate any donations you’re able to make along the way.
We want to thank everyone for your work and support, for stepping up even as our world is upended by this invisible threat wreaking such havoc to ourselves and our democracy. Thanks in particular to Ron Goodman, Tommy Bruce, Larry Wohlers, and Rachel Taylor for representing us as delegates to the State Convention (and beyond!).
Stay safe, stay engaged, and let us bring the light of Democratic competence and compassion into this dark time.