To all Rappahannock Democrats:
After Super Tuesday, there is still work to do to nominate a Democratic Presidential candidate to rid us of Donald Trump and his entire incompetent apparatus.
In spite of the chaos and upheavals of the past week, we are charting our course (with guidance from the Democratic Party of Virginia) to safely select delegates to send to the 5th District Nominating Convention on May 9, then on to the State Convention on June 20. From there, VA delegates will go to the National Convention in Milwaukee on July 13 to 16.
It’s still unclear what form these conventions will take, given the cancellations due to the coronavirus outbreak across the country. What we do know is that:
- Rappahannock County has been allotted 2 delegates and one alternate delegate to represent us on May 9.
- Each delegate may only pledge to either Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden.
- We will be holding an unassembled caucus to pick those delegates on Monday April 20 from 7:30 to 9:30 pm at the Rappahannock Library. This is like a typical voting experience: you’ll come to the library, present an ID, complete a form certifying that you are a Democrat registered to vote in the county, and fill out a ballot for one of a list of potential delegates. (Click here to open the call for caucus form)
- To run for delegate, fill out the pre-filing form (Click here to open and download the pre-filing form). You’ll be asked
- whether you want to be a delegate or an alternate (to fill in for a delegate unable to go to the convention), and
- to which candidate you’re pledging.
- You must submit the form to the committee by April 13 at 5 pm
- by mail at: RCDC, PO Box 277, Washington VA 22747
- by email to chair@RappDems.com
- in person to an officer of the RCDC.
Delegates will take part in one of the most important Democratic conventions in our history. IT COULD BE YOU!
Until then, enjoy the spring season in our beautiful county, and look for updates from us as they come along.
Mary-Sherman Willis and the Rappahannock Democratic Committee